England fast bowler Brydon Carse has appeared in 14 Tests
London (AFP) - Brydon Carse is under investigation after he reportedly became the latest England cricketer to be involved in a nightclub incident, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) confirmed on Sunday.
Videos on social media appeared to show Carse in handcuffs, being led away from a club by four police officers following an incident at nightclub in Derby, central England, on Saturday.
The Durham paceman, who is in England’s squad for the second Test against Pakistan, was seen with team-mate Matthew Potts.
“We are aware of an incident which is reported to have taken place in Derby last night, and are currently investigating,” the ECB said.
“We will provide a further update when possible.”
Both Carse and Potts played in the Durham side that thrashed Derbyshire by 338 runs in a second division County Championship match at Derby.
Carse was England’s leading bowler during their woeful 4-1 Ashes series loss in Australia in 2025⁄26, with 22 wickets.
He was included in England’s squad for the first two Tests of a three-match campaign against Pakistan, but was not in the side as the hosts enjoyed a crushing innings and 103-run win inside three days in this week’s series opener at Headingley.
The second Test at Lord’s starts on Thursday.
- ‘No England curfew’ -
Joe Root announced last week there would be no curfew in place during his second spell as England Test captain.
The curfew was introduced in January after a number of late-night incidents on the tours of New Zealand and Australia, with white-ball captain Harry Brook involved in an altercation with a nightclub bouncer in Wellington.
One of the major controversies at the end of the ‘Bazball’ era was an incident at a London nightclub in June where former Test captain Ben Stokes and Gus Atkinson were out past a midnight curfew.
The pair missed the second Test against New Zealand at the Oval, with Root – both Stokes’s predecessor and successor as captain – taking temporary charge of the team.
Root was confirmed as England’s full-time Test skipper for the second time following Stokes’s dramatic retirement from all international cricket after the 2-1 series loss to New Zealand.
“There’s not going to be a curfew,” Root told Sky Sports.
He added: “My view on curfews is I don’t think they work, and if you want guys to take responsibility on the field they’ve got to be able to feel they can be grown adults off it and make good strong decisions off it.”
Carse has not featured for England in any format since the finish of the Ashes in January, with a hand injury hampering his start to 2026 and forcing him to miss the Indian Premier League as well.
The 31-year-old, capped in 14 Tests, 30 one-day internationals and 14 T20s for England, was banned for three months two years ago for betting violations following an anti-corruption investigation by the domestic Cricket Regulator.
Carse accepted the charges of placing 303 bets on various cricket matches between 2017 and 2019, although they were not on games in which he was playing.